Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Notorious

My poor husband.  The man can't go anywhere, in any city even close to where we live, without being recognized by someone.  Of course, since he is a male kindergarten teacher, he is somewhat memorable ;).
Case in point...a few weeks ago we attended a 40th birthday party for one of our friends at a bar in a city that is about 10-15 minutes away from where we live.  We were sitting at a high-top table with some other friends, just enjoying the company and some beverages (of course alcoholic) when suddenly, behind us, we hear: "Hey, don't you teach at Elementary School X?"  Of course Justin says "Yes."  Then this random man goes on to tell my husband how he currently has his grandchild in class, this grandchild thinks that my husband is the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc.  Now, while it is nice to hear my husband being complemented, I can't imagine sitting there with an alcoholic beverage in front of me while talking to the grandfather of one of my students.  Certainly the topic of the aforementioned alcoholic beverage came up with this man (who also had his wife, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law with him at this same party, so now there are 4 people who know that my husband teaches at Elementary School X and is so and so's kindergarten teacher).  We joked about it, tried to switch cups with a friend at our table and claim he was drinking water.  It was just so awkward.  I'm not even quite sure how these other people know our friend who was celebrating their 40th, but it just always seems like my husband runs into someone he knows somehow through his teaching job.  Luckily these people didn't stay too long at the party either, so the awkwardness was removed from the equation.  It's not like we were planning on sitting there and getting really shit-faced drunk, but it is nice to be able to have an evening out with some friends and a couple of drinks and not be approached by someone saying, "Hey, aren't you so and so's teacher?" or "Hey, don't you teach at Elemetary School X?"  I'm just glad that we live far enough away from the district where I teach so that I don't run into my students on any regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment