Monday, May 23, 2011

The Light and the Heat

"Oh, I see the light and the heat."
-Peter Gabriel, "In Your Eyes"

With the above song quote, I am not making reference to Lloyd Dobler holding a boom box over his head outside of Diane Court's house (although "Say Anything" is one of my favorite movies ever, but I digress).  I am talking about the light and the heat in the lovely main bathroom of our house.  Granted, we don't live in a huge house by any means of the imagination (I wouldn't consider a 1900 square foot ranch with a full basement huge) so it makes sense that our main bathroom isn't that huge either.  If I had to guesstimate, I would say that our main bathroom is maybe 10 feet by 12 feet (if not smaller).  When you look in from the hallway, on your immediate left is the vanity with sink, large mirror, and light fixture, which holds 4-60 watt bulbs.  On your right is a very teeny tiny laundry chute (behind the bathroom door) and right after that the bathtub/shower.  That's it.  No room for anything else. 
I am a person who takes her shower in the morning.  I absolutely hate going to bed with wet hair and even if I do shower before bed, I still wake up feeling "dirty" and have to shower in the morning anyhow.  For as long as I can remember, I have always had these "hot flashes" (although I am way too young to be going through "the change") where I wake up in the middle of the night, bathed in sweat, roasting.  I throw the covers off and fall back asleep, only to wake up again a short time later, freezing.  When I was pregnant with McKenna last year I was miserable with these "hot flashes" and even though McKenna is now 6 months old, I still get them.  Maybe it's a hormonal thing, even though it's not "the change."
Anyhow, back to me showering in the morning.  Other than making me feel clean, it helps wake me up and start my day.  I don't like hot showers.  I prefer them on the cooler side.  I don't take hot showers, I run the exhaust fan in the bathroom (I keep the door closed when I am showering because the main bathroom is right across the hall from McKenna's bedroom and she is still sleeping when I am up at the crazy hour of 4:50 A.M.) and the bathroom looks like I have stepped into hell itself when I have finished showering.  The mirror is so steamed up that I can't see my reflection at all.  Not necessarily a bad thing when I have just gotten out of the shower and still have a lovely postpartum body.  I dry myself off and immediately feel beads of sweat forming on my upper lip and forehead because it is so damn hot in there.  Once I have dried off I turn off the exhaust fan and open the door (the light must not bother McKenna) and finish getting ready (body lotion, makeup, comb out hair).  At this point the only thing I am wearing is my underwear because I am still roasting, even with the bathroom door wide open.  As I take cool showers, what is the culprit for all of this heat?  Is it our light fixture with its 240 watts of power?  Is it that our exhaust fan doesn't work properly?  Is it a combination of the lights, the exhaust fan not working, and the door being shut?  I wish I knew so that I could stop dealing with the light and the heat.  I hate showering and then feeling like I didn't shower just 5 minutes after said shower because I am so hot and sticky. 
Any suggestions on how to deal with the light and the heat?  I do my hair (blow dry, flatiron) in the small half bath off our bedroom and don't have the light and the heat issue in there.  Please let me know if you have any tips or tricks to help prevent this.
Until next time, I remain,
Jenuinely Yours
Sorry, I did forget to mention that our main bathroom also has a toilet (left hand side of bathroom if you are looking in from the hallway, right next to the vanity.  DUH.

2 comments:

  1. I had awful "hot flashes" after Gabriel. I changed my birth control after speaking with my doctor about it, which helped A LOT. I also use the clinical deodorant now even though it's more pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check you exhaust to make sure it is actually routed properly and going outside (or doesn't have something stuck in it from the outside). Ours always did this too and it turned out that one of the previous owners had only routed it as far as the attic, which is against code.

    ReplyDelete