Sunday, December 4, 2011

2011 Conclusion/2012 Introduction Challenge

It's been quite some time since I've blogged-I thought that maybe if I did a blog challenge I'd be a bit better about keeping up with blogging!  Here are the topics for the next 10 days...

Day 1: What has been your most memorable moment in 2011?
Day 2: How much have you changed overall in 2011?
Day 3: A person who has impacted your life in some way this year.
Day 4: Something you’ve learned this year.
Day 5: Describe an adventure you had this year.
Day 6:  Any words of wisdom/advice for anyone?
Day 7: 10 things you want to say 10 people.
Day 8: Things you hope for in 2012.
Day 9: What are you looking forward to in 2012?
Day 10: Anything you wish to say to end 2011/start 2012.

Day 1: What has been your most memorable moment in 2011?

Unfortunately my most memorable moment in 2011 was not a good one.  It happened in October, when our assistant superintendent came to school with the RIF letters for the people that would lose their jobs at the beginning of second semester (January 23, 2012) if the school levy failed on November 8.  I brought in a union rep with me, as I thoroughly believed (and still do) that if I got RIFed from my school counselor position that I should be able to go back to the high school and teach French.  I sat there with the assistant superintendent and explained our family situation to him (husband got RIFed after 8 years teaching in the same district, now working as a permanent sub in a different district, yearly pay now cut to half of what he was previously making, I am the primary source of income and hold our year old daughter's health insurance, etc.) and got absolutely NO sympathy.  I managed not to cry (almost happened, but I told myself silently that I would NOT cry) and told our AS that he would be hearing from me if the levy didn't pass in November and I lost my job in January.  I fully intended to file a grievance against our school district if that had come to pass.  Fortunately, the levy DID pass on November 8 and I do have a job for the rest of the school year.  Unfortunately we are still in a $2 million deficit and we have to make more cuts for next school year.  I'm not sure where that will leave me-as a school counselor, a French teacher, or with no job.  All I know for sure is that when it boils down to it it's all about the money-the higher ups don't give a shit if you've been a loyal employee for 11 years and you are a tenured teacher with 2 different K-12 teaching licenses.  That's the part of all this that's truly scary.  Teaching used to be such a "safe" profession to be in-not so much any more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment